People do not grow out of autism. Autism is a lifelong disorder; however, the manifestation of symptoms may change over time. While there is yet no known cure, autism is definitely treatable.
The Mental Health & Wellness Team (MHWT) was initially established in 2017 when, through grant funding, a mental health counsellor joined the existing social worker. Core funding for the mental health counsellor was received from the provincial government in April 2019.
The intent of the team is to focus on mental health and wellness supports for those with autism and for their caregivers. The MHWT serves a number of functions:
- to offer (both in-person and virtually):
- individual counseling support
- community referrals and funding support
- to provide education to individuals, families, and the community about autism; education includes:
- Parent Management Training, Basic Autism Training for early childhood educators, Autism Information Sessions, among others
The MHWT consists of Olivia O’Neill, Mental Health Counsellor and Charlotte Loeppky, Community Support Worker. To contact our Mental Health & Wellness Team, call our office at 306-665-7013 or email Olivia at email@example.com or Charlotte at firstname.lastname@example.org.